|Printer friendly page|
Historic Downtown Payson
The Latter-day Saints first settled in Payson in 1850. The Payson Tabernacle of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints was dedicated by Wilford Woodruff in 1872.
In 1873 a High School was established in Payson, the first such institution in Utah south of Salt Lake City. It closed down in 1876 due to the rise of Brigham Young Academy. An opera house was built in Payson in 1883.
In the late 19th Century a factory making horse collars operated in Payson.